Choosing the right type of siding for your home is not a decision that should be rushed. Many factors must be decided before a conclusion is reached. Cost, material, durability, color, finish, and appearance are just a few considerations. Home renovations should bring value to your home and be worth the investment.
There are many siding options on the market, such as wood, stone, brick, or stucco. If you are searching for a durable material that lasts for years, increases the value of your home, and is fire-resistant, fiber cement siding is what you need. It complements traditional or modern exterior home designs.
You can achieve long-lasting beauty and security for your home with the right materials. For homes with exterior siding, there’s only one brand that is superior to the rest. James Hardie fiber cement siding is the recognized leader in manufacturing high-quality siding products all over the world. In the US, more than 5.5 million homeowners have chosen to protect their home with James Hardie siding.
Color Plus Coated or Primed Boards?
Choosing a color for your home’s new siding can be a tough decision. The James Hardie siding color palette helps you find coordinating siding colors that complement the style of your home and your personal preferences.
Once you choose a color for your siding, you can have it painted by a professional or enlist the help of James Hardie’s ColorPlus® Technology. While both are quality choices, here are some tips that may help you decide which siding is better suited for your home.
This technology has been proven to maintain its color for a long time. During the manufacturing process, multiple coats are applied using James Hardie’s proprietary finish on every surface and edge of the siding and trim. The finish is cured in a controlled environment between coats for a stronger bond that resists cracking, peeling, and chipping.
Some advantages of choosing James Hardie fiber cement siding already painted include:
- ColorPlus®Technology by James Hardie is truly remarkable. It is one of the best siding features on the market. Specially formulated paint stands up to UV levels in a way few field-applied paints can, offering up to 30% more fade resistance.
- The siding won’t fade even when exposed to the hot sun, unlike other vinyl siding brands. Thanks to this unique color technology, your new James Hardie Siding will look vibrant for a much longer time and make your home much more appealing.
- The great thing about James Hardie’s ColorPlus® Technology is that it can mimic the look of wood siding, giving your home a natural look.
- There’s also a wide range of colors to choose from. When you work with Banner Construction, we’ll help you choose the best color scheme for your new siding from James Hardie’s pre-selected color palettes, hand-picked by their color experts, to add more value to your home’s exteriors.
- Less work is involved in the siding installation process, as the product arrives primed and painted. It simply needs to be installed by a professional siding installation company that is trained in Hardie siding products.
- More coats of paint are seamlessly applied to ColorPlus® siding by factory machines. Typically, fewer coats are applied when painted by hand.
- A positive environmental impact also accompanies the product. ColorPlus® siding eliminates onsite volatile organic compounds (VOCs) that are present in paint, thus helping the environment.
- Without the need to paint on-site, you won’t experience the headache of having to cover shrubs and plants or deal with cleanup from paint spills. And you don’t have to worry about getting paint on your deck, porch, exterior stone, or brick.
- The ColorPlus® Technology finish is warranted not to peel, crack, or chip for 15 years.
- Over 41 quality checks are made throughout the manufacturing process to ensure the quality of the substrate, the texture, and the finish. No other manufacturer can match James Hardie’s demands in quality standards.
Having unpainted Hardie siding can also provide an alternative option for your home and provides some benefits as well.
- More color selections are available with primed boards. While the ColorPlus® boards come in only 33 preset colors, your options are almost limitless with primed boards, meaning you can get the exact look for your home that you desire.
- Availability can be an issue with ColorPlus® fiber cement boards, as many have to be specially ordered due to a limit in colors. Primed boards are rarely out of stock or on backorder, so you can get them immediately.
- Better looking touchups can be achieved with the primed boards. Chips or scratches in the paint can be perfectly matched to your personal choice of paint for the primed boards.
Which Siding Option Do You Choose?
The answer to which siding option is best will vary from homeowner to homeowner. The decision to paint the siding boards is best for those homeowners who want a specific color than those offered by James Hardie. ColorPlus® is the way to go for homeowners who want an easier installation with a perfect paint job that lasts for decades.
Compare the benefits of James Hardie Siding Products with ColorPlus® Technology to the unpainted option before you make a final decision. Either way, your home is protected with the best siding material and manufacturer. James Hardie’s fiber cement siding options are high-quality.
Durability is guaranteed no matter which option you choose. With both siding options, James Hardie provides a 30-year limited warranty. It’s important to note that the siding installation must be completed per James Hardie’s standards for the warranty to remain in effect. Without proper professional installation, the warranty will be voided.
Reasons to Choose James Hardie Siding
There are many reasons to choose James Hardie Siding. This siding is aesthetically pleasing, high-performing, and adds value to any home. Unlike vinyl, fiber cement siding is thicker and has a natural wood-grain effect. This appearance is useful in a range of home styles, from contemporary to historic homes.
James Hardie fiber cement siding is one of the toughest materials on the market. It can withstand harsh weather conditions, resisting the impact of hail and windblown debris. It is also resistant to moisture, rot, and pests. Fiber cement siding can help prevent a fire from spreading in your home due to its non-combustible properties.
1. Low maintenance. Fiber cement siding doesn’t have to be cleaned as often as other siding materials. If you notice dirt and debris on it, simply use your garden hose and a soft cloth, sponge or brush to wipe clean. Inspect the siding to make sure the seams are still caulked. No harsh chemicals or power washing is needed.
2. Durability. Fiber cement is a material that does not warp, crack, or dent easily. The color is baked on and resists fading. It can withstand very hot and sub-freezing temperatures. Fiber cement siding holds up against heavy rain, hail, sleet, snow, and windstorms. It can even withstand hurricane-level storms.
3. Economical. It will help seal your home due to its ability to resist warping and other external damage. You can keep cool air in during the summer, and warm air in during the winter.
4. Fire-resistant. The composition of fiber cement siding is mostly nonflammable. It won’t be affected by directed flames or extreme heat. Its non-combustible properties make it a favorite choice for insurance companies who offer discounts to homeowners whose home is protected with fiber cement siding.
5. Pest-resistant. Since there are no seams that overlap, you receive a layer of protection from the growth of mold and mildew. It also protects against rotting and pest infestation. Unlike wood, fiber cement is not susceptible to termites and vermin. Nothing will find habitation in this product.
6. Increase Value of Home. Installing fiber cement siding is a wise investment that yields a good return. Buyers will be thrilled to see this type of upgrade on a home. Fiber cement siding has proven to be a reliable product.
Get Quality Installation through a James Hardie Preferred Contractor
It’s time to give your home the exterior upgrade it needs. By installing James Hardie siding, you can be certain the beauty of your home exterior will last for years to come.
For proper installation, call Banner Construction, the team with the knowledge and skillset to install your siding following all warranties, regardless of your choice of either ColorPlus® or primed.
We are a James Hardie Elite Preferred Contractor, which means you’ll get the quality installation of your pre-painted or primed boards. Our goal is to ensure each homeowner has a good experience and a seamless process. Schedule a free James Hardie siding consultation with our team to see which siding option will work the best for your home.