Advantages of Fiber Cement Siding
Exterior siding on your home is a great way to protect it from weather elements. It also adds visual appeal to the house.
When you decide to have siding installed, you will have options on the materials used. Choices include fiber cement, wood, vinyl and metal (steel and aluminum). They all have their pros and cons, so you need to consider factors like maintenance, durability, appearance and overall value. Fiber cement siding is superior to the others in many ways.
What Exactly Is Fiber Cement Siding?
Fiber cement is a material made by blending cement, sand and cellulose. It has the aesthetic appearance of real wood, but is much more durable, requiring much less maintenance.
Fiber cement siding is available in lots of color choices and in a variety of finishes. It can easily be repainted in almost any color. The cost of fiber cement siding may be more than siding made from other materials, but the return on investment can make it worth the initial investment. It is much more durable, requires less maintenance and remains beautiful in any type of climate. It resists chipping, blistering and peeling, as well as being non-combustible.
Why Fiber Cement Siding Is Superior
Comparing fiber cement to other siding materials, we can see why it’s a much better choice in many ways.
- Vinyl siding. You don’t have a wide variety of color choices with vinyl siding and it cannot be painted. Vinyl also can fade over time, so if you need to have an area repaired, it may be difficult to match the color. That means you’ll get a mis-matched look, or you’ll have to get the entire house re-sided. Vinyl can also melt in extreme heat or when exposed to open flames. It may become brittle in very cold weather, causing it to crack. It can dent or scratch on impact.
Fiber cement siding is resistant to flames and heat, so it is non-combustible. There are many selections in types, styles and colors. It can be re-painted any color imaginable. Fiber cement siding is available for all types of climates. No matter what types of weather you experience—excessive heat and humidity, frigid sub-zero temperatures, hail or high winds—your fiber cement siding withstands it all.
- Wood siding does not fare well in weather and climate changes. Its porous nature causes it to expand and contract, which results in cracking and peeling. It requires more maintenance in washing and repainting than other materials. Wood also attracts termites and other pests. It can also suffer severe damage in a fire, even when treated with a fire retardant.
Fiber cement siding remains beautiful in all types of weather. It is not a porous material, so it does not swell or crack. It is not susceptible to pests and is non-combustible. It won’t warp or rot like wood siding.
- Metal siding includes materials like steel and aluminum, which can easily dent. Something as simple as flying debris in heavy winds can cause scratches and dents. The surface fades over time and can look chalky.
Fiber cement siding stands up to even the most extreme conditions. It has a smooth appearance that lasts for years without much maintenance. It remains durable and beautiful throughout.
Other Advantages of Fiber Cement Siding
There are additional overall benefits of choosing fiber cement as your siding material.
- Sustainability. Fiber cement is made from a blend of sand, cement and fibers containing recycled wood. This makes it a much better choice for the environment than vinyl, which releases toxins into the air. Even wood siding, which is made from recyclable materials, requires trees to be cut down to harvest the wood.
Plans for recycling or disposing of fiber cement siding has not yet been finalized, mostly because the product is fairly new and lasts for 50 years or more. But the materials it is constructed from make it a good candidate for environmentally safe disposal.
- LEED Credits. Fiber cement siding has been approved for LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) and historical building renovations. This makes fiber cement suitable for specific projects that require adherence to restrictions set forth for this type of construction.
- Energy Efficiency. Fiber cement siding provides a thermal resistance that is similar to wood, but much better than that of vinyl or metal. Its layer of sheathing, along with the density of the siding itself provides for significant savings in utility bills.
- Warranty. Fiber cement siding is very durable and lasts for many years. That’s why manufacturers offer excellent warranties, some up to 50 years, as long as certain conditions are met. These warranties are far superior to those offered on other siding materials. Homeowners can be confident that their fiber cement siding will sustain and protect their home for decades. Contractors are more secure knowing the manufacturer stands by their materials.
- Fiber cement materials have been around for 100 years. Even though fiber cement siding has only been available since the 1970s, the materials were created over 100 years ago. The material continues to be improved, extending the longevity of the product.
- So many options. Fiber cement siding comes in a wide range of styles, finishes and colors. Panels are available in multiple widths and lengths. It can be ordered as primed, ready to be painted, or already painted. It can be repainted almost any color desired.
James Hardie Fiber Cement Siding
Fiber cement is arguably the wise choice when opting for siding that is aesthetically appealing, long lasting, durable and requires less maintenance than other materials. If you want the best of the best in fiber cement siding, James Hardie is your premium fiber cement manufacturer.
Before James Hardie Siding
After James Hardie Siding
James Hardie is America’s #1 choice, installed on over 8 million homes and counting. All James Hardie siding products come with a 30-year, non-prorated warranty and trim products come with a 15-year, non-prorated warranty.
James Hardie's Engineered for Climate® siding and trim products are made to withstand the particular elements of the climate you live in. James Hardie is the only siding company that treats climate variations with the utmost importance. The company creates tailored siding and trim to suit the needs of the area you wish to build in. Homes in damp, cold climates will have extra moisture resistance while material created for arid conditions will better protect homes from excessive heat.
You may be able to save on your homeowner’s insurance with James Hardie siding. These companies understand the durability of premier materials and will lower the probability that they will fail.
James Hardie doesn’t only offer siding in various styles and colors. They produce a variety of products that complement your home’s exterior, like:
- HardiePlank® Lap Siding
- HardieShingle® Siding
- HardiePanel® Vertical Siding
- HardieTrim® Boards
- HardieSoffitt® Panels
- Artisan® Collection
- HardieBacker® Cement Board
- HardieWrap® Weather Barriers
In conclusion, as a homeowner, you have several choices when installing or replacing the siding on your home. If you want superior performance, durability and beauty for decades to come, choose James Hardie Fiber Cement siding. You might pay a little more up front, but the long-term benefits far outweigh that initial expense.
Choose a Preferred James Hardie Contractor
When you’re ready to have your James Hardie fiber cement siding installed, make sure you hire a contractor that has been certified by James Hardie and is a member of their Contractor Alliance program. This program ensures that contractor has been properly training on installing James Hardie fiber cement siding and products and they meet the following requirements:
- Compliance with Installation Best Practices
- Professional Sales Approach
- Satisfactory credit report
- State Licensed
- Liability insurance $1,000,000 per occurrence
- Workman’s compensation Insurance*
- Satisfactory background check with at least 6 past clients
Banner Construction is certified as a James Hardie Elite Preferred Contractor. We pride ourselves in following these strict standards in quality and customer satisfaction.
Locally owned and operated since 1993, we service the St. Louis metropolitan area. Our focus is on providing outstanding customer service, quality products and installation and quality craftsmanship. We’re not satisfied until you are satisfied.
Our free initial estimate will include a visit to your property to assess the project. We will discuss your goals and expectations during that visit. We will then develop a detailed proposal that includes digital imaginary, 3-D models, and field measurements to provide a precise and accurate quote. Finally, we will present the proposal to you and answer any questions you may have.
Don’t wait to make your home the envy of all your neighbors! Banner Construction can help you decide on all the options for your James Hardie Fiber Cement siding project.